Tuesday, March 3, 2009

after the final rose

So I braved all three hours of "The Bachelor" Monday night, and left the experience slightly more satisfied that my love life isn't pathetic enough yet to enter the realm of reality TV.

As Jason dumped Molly, then chose Melissa, then dumped Melissa, then chose Molly...a couple questions ran through my mind:

-Do some girls never retire their baby voice? Melissa, I'm talking to you.

-How hard would it be for the average guy to feign excitement upon receiving a fairy tale book chronicling his romantic relationship?

But most importantly, I kept wondering what I would say if someone broke up with me on national TV.

As a longtime "Bachelor" viewer, I've watched previous breakups and always screamed at the dumpee to fight back, vocally exposing one of the guy's hidden flaws. I'd like to think if I was in that position, I'd be able to speak up for myself.

Then again, if you speak up TOO much you look psycho. And the viewing public assumes you deserved to be dumped.

So I get why many contestants opt for the calm, understated response to rejection.

What would you do?