Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The friend breakup

Imagine eying your favorite pedicure companion and saying, "It's not you. It's me."

Welcome to the world of the friend breakup.

The issue, which I've discussed here before, has resurfaced thanks to a recent Wall Street Journal piece titled "How to break up with a friend."

The writer notes that unlike a romantic relationship, there are no social norms for ending a friendship. You and your friend don't go to counseling undergo a formal divorce.

Part of the reason is the myth of "friends forever," the idea that your friendships are always supposed to transcend the limits of your romantic relationships.

I've known women who have had a friend formally give them the "we need to talk" speech. (Of course, it didn't include the standard breakup cliche of "let's just be friends.")

When it comes to friend breakups, I've always opted for the gradual "ignore and avoid" approach rather than direct confrontation. But the phoniness of exchanging formal pleasantries often leaves me wishing I'd opted for a formal breakup.

Weigh in: Is a friend breakup more complicated than a romantic one?

(via Jezebel)