Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Male Brain

A few years ago, Louann Brizendine released "The Female Brain," a book that scientifically explained behavior differences between genders.

I interviewed Brizendine for one for my first feature stories at the Ledger. During that interview, I asked the neuropsychiatrist if she'd consider a male version of the book.

She said yes, and now that book is here.

"The Male Brain" focuses on everything from "man trance" to why men actually have stronger emotional reactions than women.

I expect the book will get some of the same criticism that surrounded "The Female Brain."

Skeptics sometimes say there's not enough research to support Brizendine's assertions.

They also argue scientifically applying a set of traits to an entire gender risks erasing individual personalities.

I haven't read "The Male Brain" yet, but I enjoyed "The Female Brain."

I didn't agree with all the book's findings, but its emphasis on science encouraged me to step outside my emotions while fighting in a romantic relationship.

Whether it's through science or just a good heart-to-heart, I think everyone needs an occasional reminder to think of the why, rather than the how, surrounding your partner's actions.

Thoughts?