Thursday, March 25, 2010

Who's Jemi?

When I hit Twitter shortly after Wednesday's "American Idol" results show, I recognized all the trending topics except one: Jemi.

I reasoned the term referred to a complex political movement, or maybe the '80s animated series "Jem."

No. After some brief Internet research, I realized "Jemi" is the nickname for celebrity couple Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato, who performed at Wednesday's "Idol."

I officially felt old. I listen to the "High School Musical" soundtrack on an almost-daily basis, but still can't keep up with the growing crop of Disney celebrity couple nicknames.

Jemi. Who would've known? I thought TomKat was cutting-edge.

Whether you prefer Jemi or Brangelina, I know some couples who construct their hybrid name seconds into their first date. Others hate the idea.

Weigh in: Should couple nicknames be confined to the Disney crowd?