Monday, March 29, 2010

Yes, I like Justin Bieber

Saturday night, I parked my butt on the couch for a date with the 2010 Kids' Choice Awards. Conveniently, I turned on the TV shortly before one of the show's most anticipated moments: a performance by teen heartthrob Justin Bieber.

While he sang "Baby," the camera caught the average suspects in the audience: young, female teenyboppers clutching their digital cameras and crying.

But between those predictable shots, I swear I saw the camera briefly focus on a female 20-something standing awkwardly and wondering where fandom ends and freakdom begins.

Welcome to the plight of the adult Justin Bieber fan.

It's hard for us. Sing along too loudly or compliment the 16-year-old singer too enthusiastically and you look like a "To Catch a Predator" candidate.

So, using your age-acquired wisdom, you avoid all comments about Justin Bieber's swagger and instead only praise his music.

There's just one problem: It's not that good. When you rave about lyrics like "your world is my world," you only get a blank stare and a depressing Cure quote.

Go ahead, outsiders: Regard a 20-something's Justin Bieber obsession as pathetic. Just don't say it out loud.

Then, and only then, will I truly be one less lonely girl.

(The online rumor mill says Justin Bieber will perform on Wednesday's "American Idol." Get updates here.)