Monday, September 13, 2010

Would you say something?

I've surrendered to the lure of a "Jersey Shore" addiction, thanks to the show's recent chain of events involving Sammi "Sweetheart" and a not-so-anonymous note detailing her boyfriend's infidelities.

Quick recap: Ronnie cheated on Sammi. Snooki and JWoww knew about it and wrote Sammi an "anonymous" note explaining things. Conflict ensued.

I can't help wondering what I would've done if faced with a similar situation.

I suppose you're supposed to put yourself in your friend's shoes and ask, "Would I want a friend to break the news to me?"

In theory, yes.

But if that scenario really played out, I know my first instinct would be to get defensive and convince myself that my good-intentioned friend had ulterior motives.

If your significant other is cheating, you probably have at least a slight suspicion in the back of your mind. The challenge is accepting that suspicion as a possible reality.

And sometimes even the most trustworthy friend can't help you make that move.

That doesn't mean it's best to stay mum, however. You risk subjecting your friend to even more emotional pain.

Weigh in: Would you say something?