Monday, February 4, 2008

rock of loft



Happy Monday!

Friday, I made the local nightlife rounds, beginning with a trip to Caliente (3709 Gentian Blvd.), perhaps the newest addition to the Columbus party scene. It was cool -- a pretty spacious venue with blacklight pool room and hip-hop vibe. They're catering mainly to college kids, one of the insiders told me. It's 18 to enter, 21 to drink.

As impressive as the club was, it was also pretty vacant. I was joined by no more than five partiers. Granted, I went around 10:30, when the night was still relatively young, but I'm always amazed by how little interest partiers here give new clubs -- comparatively, of course.

At any rate, you can get the full story in the bar profile page of Thursday's To Do section.

After Caliente, I stopped at the First Friday Block Party downtown. The $9 almost-encompassing cover charge was a bit higher than what we've seen in the past, but people seemed happy with the night overall.

I spent the majority of my time at The Loft, where local act Whisky Bent played. They weren't the only main attraction, though. We also got a quasi-impromptu appearance by Ambre Lake, a Smiths Station native and contestant from the second season of "Rock of Love." Notice her posing with some guy from Rock 103 in the pics above.

I don't have cable, so I can't follow the show, but I was nonetheless a little starstruck. Apparently Ambre's still in the running for Bret Michaels' heart...see her personal Web site here.