Thursday, February 21, 2008

three awkward words

I came across this article, "Your guy's 'I love you' wish list," while searching for blog inspiration.

It's all about guys' guidelines involving the L-bomb. Most of the recommendations are pretty hum-drum: say it when you're sober, not during sex and not via e-mail or text message. Got it.

But the last piece of advice -- a belief that the girl should always be one to say "I love you" first -- struck me as odd.

Many women's magazines advise just the opposite, claiming that doing so will scare a guy off. Women, many articles say, are likely to feel love before guys, so instead of dropping the L-bomb too early and destroying the relationship, it's best to wait for your man to say it.

Also, I've known many girls who have said it first, and wondered in retrospect if their guy said it back simply to appease them, or because he really felt it.

In a relationship, who should drop the L-bomb first -- the guy or the girl?