Monday, February 9, 2009

food & dating

"Picky" is an understatement in the context of this article about Selective Eating Disorder -- a condition that makes people eat only a very narrow range of food. Like, only cheese sandwiches and pizza.

My favorite part is the article's headline: "Food phobias are ruining our relationships."

In an ideal world, every guy I dated would have an extreme affinity for Thai food and Indian curry kits from Trader Joe's. That isn't gonna happen.

Eating habits seem minor, but a willingness to explore different types of food can really enhance a partner's appeal. It suggests a sense of adventure that could extend to other parts of your relationship.

One of the most invigorating quasi-relationships of my life was when I dated a guy who repeatedly opened my eyes to exotic cuisines. Our plates spanned everywhere from Morocco to Japan. It was amazing.

Before I knew it, I was so caught up in his adventurism that I overlooked the fact that as much as he wanted to explore the world, he didn't really want to get to know me.

Feed me all the Thai noodles you'd like.

But when exotic food is the only spice in an otherwise flavorless relationship, I'd rather have pepperoni pizza.

(via YourTango)