Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a sackful of fun

Almost every Southerner has a Krystal story, this article asserts.

I saw the headline and wondered, "Hmm. Should I really blog about Krystal?"

The answer, of course, was an unequivocal "yes."

This is a nightlife blog, and Krystal is just as tied to nightlife as Bud Lights and DJ remixes. In fact, many people taste their first Krystal during late-night hours, the article points out.

Been partying? There's nothing better than capping your night off with a couple Krystal Chiks. Certain things just hit your stomach a different way at 3 a.m. Note I said "different," rather than "good."

What's my Krystal story?

Fortunately, after 2.5 years in the South, I have lots of them -- ranging from birthday parties to early morning Scrambler sessions.

But my favorite by far happened this past Christmas morning. Alan and I were en route to Huntsville and I was hungry enough to eat a small child. I was resigned to eating something from a vending machine, since fast-food places usually aren't open Dec. 25.

Then, we saw IT -- a lone Krystal/gas station/liquor store. All in one.

So before even opening my presents, I was devouring four Krystals. And fries. And coffee. I think my mom got pretty offended when I called it my favorite Christmas breakfast EVER.

Still, I couldn't help it. Life doesn't get much better than conquering the open road with the man of the dreams AND the burger of your dreams.