Monday, February 16, 2009

those who can't, teach

Matchmaking is an addiction -- one usually kept by people with the worst success records.

Here, one writer describes why setting up our friends can be so much fun.

I've never tried my hand at matchmaking, but I've been a setup victim -- er, eager and willing participant -- many times. Let's just say that when you go to an all-girls high school, there's only so many ways you can find a date.

Days before my formal dances, my younger brother used to run around his all-boys high school collecting guys' digits for me. His taste wasn't actually that bad, either.

But without a doubt, Georgians are among the most eager matchmakers. I've gone out on many assignments here and had an interviewee try to set me up with a son or grandson. Once, the potential boyfriend even lived in a different state.

I generally dismiss the attempts as nosy, but good-intentioned. Even when I mention my boyfriend and the matchmaker eyes my left hand and says, "I don't see a ring."

Oh well. At least I know it's still raining men.