Thursday, February 5, 2009

gross

Happy Thursday!

I'll kick things off with a stomach-turning discussion about lovely lady parts. Because, you know, I'm sure that's what everybody wants.

Salon gives us "The great girl gross-out," an essay about how female writers are becoming increasingly graphic in their descriptions of, um, personal body issues.

We're not even talking about erotica. No, the piece is referring to stories about childbirth, and anthologies like "My Little Red Book" -- a female authors' stories about getting their first...er, you can figure out the rest for yourself.

I don't think it's always necessary to divulge this kind of information, but I have a pretty high tolerance for graphic descriptions. But my limits have been tested in recent years, as more and more of my friends have entered motherhood.

Seriously. TMI. If I haven't chosen to bear children yet, I don't need to hear about what's sagging, much less who's coming out of where.