Friday, February 6, 2009

he's just not that into you

My history with "He's Just Not That Into You" goes back to a co-worker at one of my first jobs who used to read that book like it was gospel. In the end, she still had the worst taste in men -- EVER -- so I can't really cite the book's power to transform lives.

I appreciate what "He's Just Not That Into You" is trying to do. Really. I think there are way too many women who resuscitate a bad relationship way past its expiration date.

Yet at the same time, I think the book -- whose film adaptation opens today -- has a dangerous potential to help women create an ideal that men will never be able to fill.

Even perfect guys mess up sometimes. They get sick. They get angry. They forget to call.

What I think is most dangerous about "He's Just Not That Into You" is that it seems to imply that there is a guy out there who will never mess up.

It's possible the book has made some women set their standards too high -- so much that they'll assume a relationship isn't for them when it merely hits a rough patch.

When in reality, navigating those rough patches is often what being "into" somebody is really all about.

(For more on "He's Just Not That Into You," check out Katie's excellent article here.)