Monday, April 6, 2009

asking dad's permission

When it comes to proposing, is asking dad's permission a necessary prerequisite or an antiquated tradition?

It's a debate inspired by this AskMen.com column, where one woman gives tips for "popping the question to her father."

In response, one blogger for The Frisky wrote this post, wondering if she was wrong to assume that asking dad's permission "was as relevant as outhouses and chastity belts."

I think talking to dad is more a gesture than a make-or-break moment. I mean, seriously, how many guys are going to ditch the plan if he says no? And how many guys comfortable enough to ask the question actually get a negative response?

I wouldn't decline a guy's proposal if he didn't talk to my parents first. But I'd be happy if he did make that move.

Why? It marks a willingness to become not only a permanent part of my life, but also a permanent part of the lives of people I love the most.

Thoughts?