Friday, April 24, 2009

weddings, take two

Here, The Frisky describes the trend of second weddings. Not remarriage -- we're talking about marrying the same person in multiple ceremonies.

The author dubs it a strictly celebrity phenomenon, adding that in contrast, the average couple is scaling back on their wedding festivities during the recession.

Strangely, though, I've recently been blown away by the number of "real" couples opting for a second wedding ceremony. It was something I'd never heard of until about two years ago, and now it seems like I can't escape it.

The idea first came to my attention through all the military couples I met in Columbus. People like my friend Lily wed quickly to accommodate a deployment, and then planned a second wedding more consistent with their initial images of the day.

That I can understand.

But I have a handful of non-military friends who are planning second ceremonies merely because they weren't happy with seemingly minute details the first time around. One girl told me she's planning wedding No. 2 because her in-laws had too strong a hand in her first ceremony.

Granted, I've never been married, but I do know marriage is supposed prove true love transcends life's minor glitches. Sometimes, when you repeatedly value ceremony over partnership, you lose sight of what your relationship is really supposed to be about.

Thoughts?