Tuesday, April 14, 2009

i married a preacher

Well, at least according to a Sound Off in today's paper.

For my out-of-town fans, Sound Off is a daily feature in the Ledger where readers can submit their thoughts on pretty much anything. Comments are limited to 35 words. Check out what one clever wordsmith said about me:

In your dreams

I dreamt last night that Sonya Sorich married a preacher and he told her, “No more night-clubbing for you.” She was still crying when I woke up.

First of all, I'm really flattered that somebody's dreaming about me.

But second, the scene just isn't realistic. If a guy was going to ban me from clubbing, I'd learn that early in our relationship -- and promptly dump him.

I'm actually surprised by how many people have written me about that Sound Off today.

The toughest part of adjusting to working here were the phone calls and e-mails I received when I first started my nightlife column. People literally told me I should stop going out on weekends and look for a husband instead. Even now that I've been here almost 3 years, people occasionally stop me on the street and ask when I'm going to settle down and have a family.

I don't think my columns advocate a wild lifestyle, or suggest that fun and a serious romantic relationship are mutually exclusive.

What I do try to stress, however, is that there are aspects of being single that people often lose once they enter a serious relationship. And they lose those things not because they willingly gave them up, but because they never found them in the first place.

At least that's what I told my preacher husband.