Monday, June 22, 2009

If you're happy and you know it...

Should you keep your mouth shut?

The question hit me after I recently checked one of my favorite blogs, This Fish Needs a Bicycle. The blog debuted with a focus on single life, but its author found a boyfriend and the site has evolved to focus on relationship issues.

Anyway, the "Fish" recently detailed how -- after a particularly horrendous day -- her boyfriend surprised her with a dozen roses. The ended the post with this sentence: "My boyfriend is better than your boyfriend."

An online backlash ensued.

OK, really it was just like two or three people who interpreted the last line as smug. But it did ignite an online discussion and even inspired the blogger to write a post defending herself.

The thing is, the line kind of put me off, too. I get a little queasy around people who constantly offer lines like, "I have the best husband." Yes, I know you're not saying it to imply superiority, but it does come off smug. And, at times, a little insecure.

Then again, if you're really happy, shouldn't you be able to express your feelings without worrying about tiptoeing around the emotions of people who haven't found what they're looking for?

Relationship bliss is rare and often fleeting.

So when you find it, should you have to worry about rubbing your happiness in somebody's face?