Friday, June 12, 2009

Local nightlife: 'Dive' right in

At least once a week, I get a phone call or e-mail from somebody who expects me to know about some hidden holy grail of local nightlife. You know, that best-kept secret that somehow manages to adhere to everybody's guidelines for party time perfection.

That place doesn't exist.

However, if you're interested in partying somewhere other than the traditional meet market, there are some perfectly safe options off the beaten path. These are the bars you drive past and wonder, "Does anybody go there?"

The answer is yes. I've been to those places -- some people call them dive bars -- and lived to tell about it. Here are some suggestions if you want to vary your routine this weekend.

Saloon & Oyster Bar, 6005 Macon Road: This is probably the most mainstream of the four bars I'm listing here. Expect a quaint atmosphere, good food and some stellar hunch punch. My biggest aspiration has always been to try the SOB's Sunday Brunch. No joke.

Gray's Bar, 1698 S. Lumpkin Road: Don't let the South Columbus stigma scare you. This hole in the wall hot spot will keep you entertained with draws like keno and a great jukebox.

Pop-A-Top, 210 32nd Street: Come for the beer, stay for the wall decorations. The friendly hot spot has a share of "regulars," but it's always getting first-timers from the nearby Johnston Mill Lofts.

Bobby's Bar, 1718 Morris Road: Expect cheap beer, good conversation and some occasional barbecue food. One of my favorites.

Have fun and let me know what you think. I'll post more options next weekend.