Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Outsourcing dating

Just came across this press release for VirtualDatingAssistants.com, an organization that lets busy men outsource all their online dating responsibilities.

For $480 a month, you can hire someone to create your online profile, interact with women and set up dates.

A good deal? Depends on your level of social anxiety.

For years, I was absolutely terrified to set up my own dates. It started during my time at an all-girls high school. Interactions with the opposite sex were rare, but somehow dates were still mandatory for all our formal dances. So in the weeks prior to Homecoming and prom, I spent many free periods scrambling the halls, begging people to set me up.

Then I entered the college world of sorority formals. Things didn't change. I remember sitting in a friend's room, begging her to dial my crush and invite him for me.

Another year, I forced a friend ask my date in advance -- so I knew he'd say yes when I made the official phone call.

Do I regret the years I relied on outsourcing? No way. With my assistants, dating was a cakewalk. I instantly bypassed the awkwardness that dominates a relationship's early stages.

But unfortunately, outsourcing's biggest strength was ultimately also its biggest weakness. I had relationship security, but I lacked the stories of pursuing someone. Taking risks. Developing feelings strong enough to make awkwardness worthwhile.

So I fired my assistants, picked up the phone and did my own dirty work.

It wasn't comfortable, but I never looked back.