Monday, May 24, 2010

Man heels, er, meels

The newest male fashion trend? High heels, at least according to one article.

The shoes have already acquired their own man-specific name: meels.

Hmm. I'll believe it when I see it.

But the potential trend raises an interesting issue: If man heels catch on, they could do wonders in eliminating the height disparities that often define our dating preferences.

Do people still discount mates for being too tall or too short?

It's superficial, but dramatic height differences can make certain parts of the initial courting process incredibly awkward. Dancing's a prime example.

I've already shared the story about when I bought a new pair of stilettos for a date, only to have the guy tell me to take them off the second I came over. He couldn't deal with the fact that for once, I was two inches taller than him.

Maybe one day we'll live in a universe where boyfriends and girlfriends coordinate heel sizes before hitting the town.

Yeah, right.