Monday, May 17, 2010

Wife bloggers

Listen up, everybody. This week, The Walk of Shame will be devoted to nothing but pot roast recipes and tips for ensuring your husband is always happy.

Don't worry, I'm kidding.

But there's a point: directing your attention to this LA Times trend piece, which discusses a growing contingent of wife bloggers -- women who go online "to champion the importance of being a good wife and partner."

Hello, June Cleaver.

The Internet movement contrasts with recent women's history, which to a large extent has focused on building an identity outside domestic life.

I know some women with blogs that -- likely intentionally -- have morphed into wife blogs. Without warning, they went from humorous TV anecdotes to photos of surprise entrees prepared for a husband after his long day at work. Again, and again, and again.

My first instinct is to roll my eyes and complain about defining your life within the context of another person.

But I remind myself that the "make your own dinner so I can blog" lifestyle doesn't appeal to everyone. Even in the online world.

Thoughts?

(via Jezebel)