Friday, May 21, 2010

Why don't you stay?

In about two weeks, I'll have an entire week off work.

Normally at this time before a vacation, I'm at the onset of panic mode -- scouring my budget three times a day and worrying my pets will miss me too much while I'm gone.

This time, that's not the case. And no, it's not because I won an all-expenses paid trip to Guam.

We're having a staycation.

Man, I really hate using that word.

It wasn't something we planned in advance. Finances just got tight, and before we knew it, my boyfriend and I were anticipating a long, exotic week in posh Columbus.

OK, that's not entirely true. We have day trips planned to places like Atlanta and Callaway Gardens.

Actually, I'm a little excited. That is, until I tell people our plans and I get a pity look usually reserved for family tragedies.

Yes, there are drawbacks. There's a potential I'll just get too comfortable at home and abort every planned day trip with a casual, "Oh, let's just go tomorrow." Also, the close proximity to my office means there's a good chance I'll spend half the week "checking in" at work.

I consulted this handy list of staycation tips, but I still need help.

Is this a recipe for disaster, or is it possible to literally have a vacation in your own backyard?