Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ring finger dilemmas



Think this ring means I'm married? Engaged? Try again.

It's actually a reflection of my independence, but also a subtle indicator of my quest for love.

The NY Times has an interesting article that describes the evolution of ring finger jewelry. Wedding rings are now joined by divorce rings, as well as rings that tell the world you're looking for love.

Also, the article mentions the rise of fake engagement rings -- designed to ward off potential suitors.

Would I ever decorate my hand with an "I'm single and empowered" ring? Heck no.

Regardless of what the ring means to you, most outsiders will almost always interpret it as a sign of marital commitment.

Which means that while celebrating your independence with bling, you'll be interrupted with questions related to love and romance.

Weigh in: Do divorce rings and single rings ease the relationship world's stresses, or detract from the ring finger's specialness?

(via Broadsheet)