Thursday, July 8, 2010

Can I buy you a drink?

Seriously, your drink's on me. But please don't order anything more than $5.

This Chicago photo essay highlights the wide range of cocktail prices you might find in one town.

It raises an interesting question: How much are you willing to pay for one drink?

In Columbus, there aren't too many price disparities when it comes to your basic beer and mixed drinks. Some people take issue with the martinis at Belloo's (which can cost around $10), but those drinks are generally stronger than what you'll find at most bars.

When my finances are thriving -- which happens about twice a year -- I have no problem shelling out $10-$12 for a specialty cocktail.

Assuming it involves special presentation, that is.

I hate paying $10 for a mixed drink served in a plastic cup and garnished with a piece of expired fruit.

Overall, I think our local drink prices are pretty reasonable. Nothing screams "no place like home" more than paying $9 for a Bud Light in Vegas and then returning to Columbus.

Weigh in: How much are you willing to pay for one drink?