Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Hills finale crushes my soul

It's been a rough Wednesday.

Not only do I have to process the fact that "The Hills" is over, but I also have to cope with a shocking suggestion that the entire series might have been scripted.

Bring me a therapist ASAP.

I guess it's best to look on the bright side of things. Regardless of the show's definition of "reality," it taught me a few things. Seriously.

"The Hills" reinforced an important lesson for women by emphasizing that not every friendship needs to be saved.

No matter what you think about the show, that concept is somewhat refreshing.

As women, we're often trapped into thinking that every female friendship needs to reach "Sex and the City" proportions. In reality, the "SATC" image of friendship is difficult, if not impossible, to achieve.

People grow apart. Work, jealousy and annoying boys get in the way. Before you know it, a shared round of cosmos marks social torture, rather than a welcome bonding session.

Scripted or not, "The Hills" painted a much more realistic picture of many female friendships -- fleeting, rather than fairytale-inspired.

Thoughts?