Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I wanna start a fight

Tired of having the same fight with your significant other?

The Wall Street Journal offers an interesting conflict resolution technique that relies on a "couple's meeting."

The process?

Set a time limit of 15 minutes and flip a coin to see who speaks first. Then, the first person explains his/her side in two or three statements. The other partner listens and repeats what he/she heard.

You do this about two more times and then reverse roles.

Good idea, right?

But as the WSJ accurately notes, it's hard to remember these techniques when you're in the heat of an argument.

I wish I could offer insight on this topic, but my inherent perfection makes me immune to relationship fights.

Haha. Just kidding.

I usually prefer to end a fight with this unselfish insight: "I'm right and you're wrong."