Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How to plan a first date

Remember when swing dancing was the go-to date option?

I hated that trend. It surfaced toward the end of my high school days, and I always ended up moving aimlessly on the dance floor with a guy whose coordination skills exceeded mine.

Fortunately, the national swing dancing obsession subsided and I discovered a first date activity more in line with my preferences: beer pong.

Here, the NY Times discusses trends in first date activities.

Some of the trends might never surface in Columbus -- read: lobster rolls and fondue -- but the underlying premise warrants consideration.

The article suggests "let's get drinks" is no longer a suitable first date plan.

I agree for the most part, but I also think daters have to strike a delicate balance between something too casual and something that screams, "I put so much detail into this date because I know we're going to get married and have five kids."

Plan your first date too intricately and your love interest will think you've already invested your future in the relationship.

Which can be a little intimidating, to say the least.

(via TresSugar)