Friday, July 2, 2010

I love you. Whatever.

Do we use the word "love" too loosely in our relationships?

Jezebel raises that question in this interesting post, which highlights a growing tendency to casually sign e-mails with "love" and greet mere acquaintances with an enthusiastic "I love you."

At some point in high school, I developed a tendency to end handwritten notes simply by drawing a heart and signing my name. I still sign notes that way, whether I'm writing to my boyfriend or my workout buddy.

Do I always interpret it as a bold declaration of emotion? No.

I'm not sure if too-casual use of "love" extends to relationships.

That's more of a couple-specific question. Some view it as a milestone, some say it multiple times a day and some insist on playing that annoying "No, I love you more" phone game.

Either way, I'll continue to apply the word "love" to my relationship with cheesy reality TV. And yes, maybe I might marry it.