Wednesday, November 5, 2008

love stinks

After 2 years, 6 months and 25 days, that is.

That's how long the romance lasts in an average marriage, according to this article.

The time frame doesn't exactly mark when a couple breaks up, it just indicates when the romance dies. You know, the point when women stop dressing up for their significant other and men become a little more lax with picking up their stuff from around the house.

The finding actually surprises me -- I'd expect it to be closer to the one-year mark. I'd also say that how long a couple lives together before getting married probably factors heavily into the equation.

Regardless of whether its conclusion is correct, the article highlights the importance of making a conscious effort to keep the romance alive in a relationship, no matter how comfortable you feel.

I've always vowed that if I ever get married, I'll never be one of those wives who gains 100 pounds and a bunch of unsightly body hair once she has the security of a ring on her finger.

Hmm. We'll see how that turns out.