Tuesday, November 18, 2008

naked men

Forgive me...I never properly lamented the loss of life's scantily clad handymen.

Playgirl's final issue -- EVER -- recently arrived on newsstands.

This NY Times article details the former magazine's inner workings, contradicting any beliefs that Playgirl was controlled by a cluster of female nymphos.

Amazingly, it was run by just three editors and a bunch of unpaid interns. Collectively, they tried to make Playgirl feminism's answer to Playboy -- attempting to fill the pages with thought-provoking articles instead of just naked guys.

(In the NY Times piece, one of the editors describes most nude male models as "mimbos.")

Anyway, the aforementioned goal didn't work out so well.

Honestly, my biggest brush with Playgirl came when I frequently bought it as a birthday gift for female friends.

They never really knew if it was a gag gift or something I genuinely thought would turn them on. I love ambiguous reactions.

So now, I have one less birthday gift option. And one less chance to see my favorite Latin heartthrob wearing nothing but a tool belt.

Playgirl, you will be missed.