Thursday, November 6, 2008

save me


Maybe you've heard this comment from Jessica Simpson about her relationship with Tony Romo:

"I'd always fall for guys I wanted to save. For the first time, I fell in love with someone who saved me."

If that doesn't scream "issues," I don't know what does.

Seriously, though, I've heard a lot of girls describing their romantic relationships within the context of being saved. I think it's a little dangerous, since that kind of mentality seems to attract manipulative/controlling guys who use their role as "savior" to play some serious head games.

But there are times when a relationship seems to save you from heading down a dangerous path.

A new partner can be the perfect vehicle for finally stepping outside yourself and getting rid of an unhealthy obsession with an ex who only weighs you down.

True, a new significant other can be part of your journey toward happiness, but that journey only takes place once you've acknowledged your capacity to save yourself.