Friday, November 21, 2008

no gifts. seriously?

Lemondrop directed me to this article, which says 62 percent of women are asking friends and family to give them no gifts for the holidays this year because of the poor economy.

If a woman in your life has made this claim, TREAD LIGHTLY.

This is one of my least favorite passive-aggressive things women do.

I'm sure there are many women within the 62 percent who genuinely do not want gifts. But I think there's also a good share of women within that percentage who will say they don't want gifts...but then complain post-holiday about not getting anything.

Even when I get an invitation that specifies "no gifts," I always bring a little something...because I think it's very rare to find someone who isn't secretly expecting it.

Then ago, maybe by doing so I look like I'm trying upstage everyone who pays attention to the "no gifts" request.

How do you handle someone who tells you to forgo a gift?