Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Brad Pitt and marriage

In a recent interview with Parade, Brad Pitt explained again why he and Angelina Jolie won't get married:

"When someone asked me why Angie and I don't get married, I replied, 'Maybe we'll get married when it's legal for everyone else.'" Pitt said. "I stand by that, although I took a lot of flak for saying it — hate mail from religious groups. I believe everyone should have the same rights."

It seems like we all know a handful of couples who have been together forever, but won't tie the knot.

I've had friends cite the "we'll get married when everyone can" reasoning. I've also heard people say they love each other, but they're simply opposed to the institution of marriage.

If you knew you and your partner would be together forever, but you'd never be legally married, would you stay in the relationship?

I wouldn't. Yes, I know the wedding ceremony is often just a formality and "married" is just a label, but I think formally tying the knot adds a necessary level of seriousness.

Plus, I'd be uncomfortable introducing someone as my boyfriend if we'd been together 12 years.

Sometimes, women are criticized for trying to put a label on their relationship. "They're just words," we're told. "Your feelings are what really matter."

Truth is, words matter too. You should be in a relationship where you hear what makes your heart happiest, whether it's "girlfriend," "I love you" or "let's get married."

Maybe I'd make an exception for Brad Pitt, though.