Thursday, August 27, 2009

Freeway of love

Ah, the open road. It seems nothing could be more romantic...until you learn you'll be listening to industrial techno for the entire journey.

Are we there yet?

This week's nightlife column details the harsh realities of traveling with a significant other.

I wrote the piece in conjunction with an upcoming "Amazing Race" casting call in Columbus, held 4-6 p.m. Saturday on the 1000 block of Broadway. Download an application here.

My biggest travel pet peeve? It's a tie between music and temperature controls. I don't understand how somebody can enjoy driving without music.

But also, few things irk me more than the navigator who thinks the temperature options are limited to full-power AC or full-power heat. CJ brought that one up earlier this week.

Fortunately, aside from my inability to read maps, I think I'm a pretty good travel partner.

If I get pouty, you just have to take me through a Starbucks or Krystal drive-thru and I rebound immediately.

(For more advice, check out this list of travel tips for couples, courtesy of The Frisky.)