Monday, August 24, 2009

Can't buy me love

Actually, maybe you can.

This post on YourTango asks whether a guy can buy his way out of infidelity. The writer points to a guy in the U.K. who over three decades spent about $400,000 on "I'm sorry I cheated again" gifts for his wife.

Then, there's Kobe Bryant, who bought his wife a $4 million, 8-carat purple diamond ring after his extramarital tryst.

When it comes to cheating, I think an "I'm sorry" gift -- no matter how elaborate -- is a Band-Aid, rather than a cure.

It can make for a temporary moment of forgiveness, but ultimately it won't erase the long-term impact of betrayal.

However, in less severe situations, I think the right gift can get you out of the awkward "you need to apologize" conversation.

Ideally, I'd like you to directly apologize any time you hurt my feelings.

But if your offense is minor, and you bring me the right kind of coffee, you can consider yourself forgiven.