Monday, August 17, 2009

Is Disneyland romantic?

Halfway through a cosmopolitan, I recently planned a trip to Disneyland.

My voice got bouncier as I discussed the details, everything from chocolate-dipped Mickey Mouse ears to the suspenseful Indiana Jones ride.

My date, meanwhile, gave me an expression suggesting he'd prefer to book a trip anywhere else. Even Phenix City.

Why do we have to go to Disneyland?

My answer came with no meditation: "It's just soooo romantic."

Why? Well, that one's a little harder to answer.

I've known many couples who swear on the theme park's romantic appeal. Some of them even made financial sacrifices to indulge in Disneyland wedding packages.

They say it's the happiest place on earth. They say nothing reignites a romantic spark like a world where it's easy to believe in magic.

That may be true, but all the memories I have of Disneyland are distinctly unromantic. Long lines don't exactly scream "foreplay." Not to mention the family of six who always manages to cut in front of you.

In fact, the only remotely romantic image I attach to the theme park involves being stuck behind some PDA-hungry newlyweds in a two-hour line for Space Mountain. Occasionally, I was forced to tap their shoulders mid-grope and tell them the line had moved up 10 feet.

Yet I still think Disneyland is inexplicably romantic.

Am I wrong?