Sunday, August 30, 2009

Firewalking



There's something to remember when you're walking across a bed of hot coals: Don't look down.

Instead, keep your focus straight ahead. Maintain eye contact with your trainer. Put your arms in the air.

And wipe your feet when it's over.

I learned all this firsthand Saturday, when I participated in Scott Goodknight's Firewalk for the Visually Impaired prior to the Country's Midnight Express 5K race.

Watch me firewalk in the video above, filmed by the very talented Alan Riquelmy. I show up in the last 20 seconds.

Initially, I figured my commitment would be minimal. "I mean, don't you just have to walk quickly?" I repeatedly asked my office friends. (All of whom had never before firewalked.)

Then, I learned I'd be training for almost 4 hours prior to walking on the coals.

Outsiders responded to that news with one of two conclusions. No. 1: I was being trained to do something potentially fatal. No. 2: I was being brainwashed.

I'm typing this post more than 24 hours after walking. My limbs are fully intact. And I have yet to forcibly chant a nonsensical chorus.

Scott Goodknight makes firewalking not just a physical exercise, but a reminder of life purpose. That's what the training session is really about.

When you complete the experience, you're left with a concrete reminder of what you can conquer when you're so focused on a mission that there is no room for interruption.

Don't you just have to walk quickly? Maybe.

But sometimes, it's helpful to have someone remind you of what you can really become in the absence of fear.

It's nice to have moments when you conquer obstacles with state of mind first, fancy footwork second.

I came. I chose action. I walked.

And I still haven't looked down.