Friday, August 14, 2009

Sitting in bars alone

As I mentioned on my blog and my Thursday radio gig, last night I was all set to cover the weekly karaoke night at H2O.

I put on something moderately cute and headed over to the bar alone.

I walked inside around 11, saw the poker game was wrapping up and figured karaoke would start momentarily. I staked out a solo spot at a bar table and waited patiently, interrupted by the occasional "Do you need a drink?" and "Are you waiting for someone?"

My answer to both questions was no.

Forty-five minutes later there was still no karaoke, with the exception of one partier's spontaneous performances of "Gunpowder and Lead" and "Before He Cheats." Then, just before the clock struck midnight, I was informed that Thursday karaoke at H2O has been canceled.

For all its disappointment, the news was a bit of a relief -- since an hour of sitting alone at a bar can really make you feel like a social leper.

So I packed up my stuff, avoided all eye contact and headed toward my car. I was a few feet away from the car door when a partier beckoned me back inside. Why? To enlist me in a game of beer pong.

I accepted. We won.

The point of this story -- other than rubbing my beer pong bad-assedness in your face -- is to remind you that world, at least the nightlife part of it, is not out to get you.

It's possible to hit a bar alone, politely smile at awkward social pleasantries and go home unscathed.

Maybe even a little happy.