Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Joe Simpson & John Mayer

The celebrity rumor mill says Jessica Simpson's dad, Joe, called John Mayer for a "man to man" chat after Mayer's infamous Playboy interview.

Strange? Yes. Sweet? A little, actually.

Everyone knows the image of a dad guarding his teenage daughter's dating life with the family shotgun. But that kind of parental concern often lasts well beyond high school.

After one of my especially bad breakups, my mom got all excited about sending an anonymous online instant message to my former fling.

I didn't take her up on the offer, but I appreciated her concern. Years had passed since I first navigated the world of boy/girl dances. But it was nice to know Mom was still my ally on the romantic battlefield.

And yes, even as I approach 30, I still have many friends whose dads greet their dates with the family shotgun.

Weigh in: Are you ever too old for your parents to jump to your dating defense?