Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine's Day: Recipe for romance

Growing up, I watched my mom cook exotic meals on holidays. Dad savored the flavor of unpronounceable spices and new taste sensations.

"One day, that's going to be my life," I vowed.

Then, reality hit: My men of choice preferred PB&J over polenta.

So my tremendous potential for culinary greatness was resigned to, well, microwave popcorn.

Since Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday this year, I'm guessing more couples will opt for a romantic home-cooked meal over the traditional restaurant fare.

The idea has advantages: an intimate setting, cost savings and no annoying waitress dampening the mood.

But let's not forget the drawbacks.

Pick too ambitious of a dish and you have a huge potential for failure. Then, of course, there's the possibility your significant other will eat the meal while offering an expression that reads, "I wish we would've gone to Burger King."

Here, College Candy teaches you how to impress your sweetie with fondue. Martha Stewart also has a collection of romantic recipes, but I must warn picky eaters that arugula is involved.

And finally, why not throw caution to the wind and just make Engagement Chicken?

Weigh in: What's the best romantic meal for a first-time cook to serve?

(For more Valentine's Day advice, check out Dawn's Celebration Survival Guide blog, which includes lots of recipes.)