Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Oasis, RIP?


I was sad to recently see a "For Rent" sign at The Oasis on Broadway.

The downtown Columbus hot spot at 1107 Broadway has seen three incarnations since I moved here just over three years ago.

First, it was martini bar Savana's. Then, 20-something dance spot Rumors. Finally, its most recent form: The Oasis, which boasted a sports bar atmosphere and served food.

And now, it's vacant again.

I started fearing for The Oasis in early January, when the bar posted a MySpace update that included a word that's often the beginning of the end in the nightclub world: "renovations." What started off as "temporarily closed" seems to have evolved into "out of business."

Honestly, I'll miss The Oasis. My work crew and I often went there for lunch -- no alcohol, of course -- and the experience was always unique. Few things rival the culinary experience of savoring french fries enhanced by island dust and eau de cigarettes.

The food was really good, actually. And the nighttime vibe wasn't bad, either. Sure, maybe The Oasis' lack of flair did it in. But I'd rather have a low-key hangout than another empty Broadway storefront.

To memorialize the venue, I've included a photo of The Oasis' signature fishbowl of alcohol. Yes, I did try it with a partner. One of us had dinner before the experience, one of us didn't. Who do you think came out on top?

Weigh in: What kind of hot spot should replace The Oasis?