Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Starbucks and marriage

I love lip gloss.

As a reward for surviving a week of work, I usually treat myself to a new shade every Saturday. Since it rarely costs more than $10, it's a relatively inexpensive weekly indulgence.

Then again, outsiders might think differently. Especially when you consider the fact that many of my new lip glosses go unused.

Fortunately, no one else has a say in my budget.

Which is why I did a cute little "Single Ladies" dance after reading this Wall Street Journal column from a woman whose husband is critical of her passion for Starbucks. An excerpt:

The truth is: When it comes to small indulgences -- fancy espresso drinks, tubes of drugstore lipstick -- I see the budget as an aspiration. Like a diet, it's something to respect and work toward. When we first met, Joe thought my flighty, creative, nonlinear approach to finances was cute. That was a long time ago.

Weigh in: If you're at the shared finances stage of a relationship, do you and your partner fight over indulgences like Starbucks?