Friday, April 29, 2011

Will and Kate forever!


Despite my initial reluctance, I got sucked into the allure of the royal wedding this morning. It was bound to happen. My alarm went off at 5:05 a.m. and I left for a viewing party around 5:35 a.m. My first stop: Covenant Woods, a Columbus retirement community.

They e-mailed me an invitation to their festivities earlier this week and I couldn't resist. I showed up to find an awesome Dunkin' Donuts spread, including the coveted royal wedding donuts (pictured above).


I watched the ceremony with about 10-12 viewing partners, most of whom said they also watched Prince Charles and Princess Diana's wedding. It was a great crowd and I especially enjoyed the folks who sang along with the wedding music.


My invitation to Covenant Woods said it was OK to wear my pajamas, but the scene wasn't entirely informal. Case in point: this hat, which was worn by royal wedding viewer.

After about 90 minutes at Covenant Woods, I checked in with Ledger-Enquirer royal wedding correspondent Dawn Minty, who kindly offered me some morning snacks. Click here to read Dawn's excellent coverage...all done from the comfort of Columbus.

My royal wedding viewing experience was motivated mainly by a desire to be in the loop. I always hate being "that person" who can't participate in a social discussion.

But I also appreciate how a royal wedding fascination crosses generations. I called my parents at 6:45 a.m. California time and they were eating crumpets. Seriously.

So maybe I'll embrace today as chance to celebrate without over-analyzing the cause for celebration. Fortunately, the 5:05 a.m. wakeup call left me a little slap happy, so I'm already rocking a serious cubicle party.

(Let me extend a special thanks to my morning hosts. You are Columbus royalty!)