Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools' Day 2011

Ladies, I'll give my annual April Fools' Day public service announcement:

"I'm pregnant" is not an acceptable April 1 prank.

Got it? Likewise, guys, it's not a good idea to punk us with a fake marriage proposal. You're only setting yourself up for a fight.

I've never been a huge fan of April Fools' Day jokes. Or jokes in general.

However, I think the rise of social networking has only heightened an obsession with April 1 trickery. I've seen people post Facebook status updates ranging from fake engagements to fake breakups to fake pregnancies.

There's just one problem: Humor rarely translates over the Internet. People take things waaaay too seriously.

So you're left with a bunch of people writing you congratulatory messages...even after you've posted that your status was just a joke.

Awkward.