Thursday, September 4, 2008

on the same page?

Happy Thursday!

My book column today is about a factor that's been increasingly important in match-making: someone's taste in books.

Now, publisher Penguin has started this dating site, where users can compare "last read" lists. It's currently only available in the UK, but I'm guessing a similar version will be introduced here soon.

Sources like the NY Times have analyzed the trend, too.

I don't think taste in books should be a relationship's be-all, end-all, but it might have some bearing on a relationship's future. I remember when I friend called me minutes after spotting something questionable on her date's bookshelf.

He had the entire "Left Behind" series. She was kind of, um, an atheist.

Dealbreaker? Maybe. And what if the situation was reversed? What if there was a book that you absolutely loved, but your date HATED? Consider an excerpt from this article:

However, I do believe in the dealbreaker book. This book so deeply resonates with your soul that if a potential partner finds it risible, any meeting of minds (or body) is all but impossible. Most of us have one or two books that encapsulate all we believe to be skilful and admirable in art and in life. And while we don't necessarily expect everyone to enjoy them, we do expect our soulmate to. Or at least respect them.

Do you have a "dealbreaker book"?