Tuesday, September 23, 2008

that smell

I once had the horrible experience of being told that somebody vomited because of my perfume. Harsh words.

But the scenario wouldn't surprise this guy, the perfumer behind New York's CB I Hate Perfume Gallery. Contrary to the name, it's a store that sells -- you guessed it -- perfume.

Only these scents are more natural-based, as opposed to heavy fragrances the gallery's perfumer says Americans buy primarily because of brand identification.

So instead of Chanel and DKNY, he offers stuff like "Rubber Cement," "Wet Pavement," "Roast Beef" and "In the Library."

(If the last one smells anything like my high school librarian, it's a comfy blend of Metamucil and fried liver. Mmm.)

Anyway, the store got me thinking about how many intangible smells I'd like to bottle. Beginning with the hypnotizing olfactory power of a man's shirt.

And you?