Friday, November 20, 2009

Meet the parents

Wow, I'm sure glad I have the Internet to remind me it might be a bad idea to impress my boyfriend's family by belching the alphabet.

Here, relationship goddesses Em & Lo offer 10 ways to win over your partner's parents this Thanksgiving.

It's a good read -- one that highlights courteous gestures that are often overlooked.

You know, like offering to help clean up after dinner.

I've never feared meeting a boyfriend's family. The worst part of the ordeal is deciding when to move in for the obligatory "I love you just as much as I love my own family" hug.

Do it too soon and you look needy. Do it too late and you look icy.

That's why, whenever I hug a boyfriend's parents for the first time, I feel like I'm reenacting the awkwardness previously reserved for a certain scene between Dr. Evil and his son Scott.

Whatever. They still love me.