Monday, November 30, 2009

Holiday gift guide: Clothes

Welcome to the first day of my holiday gift guide! Today we're discussing the garment gift which, believe it or not, is more than merely a nice way to tell your boyfriend you're sick of his unwashed hooded sweatshirt.

If you shop smartly, the recipient could view your chosen T-shirt as a reflection of dedication and attention to detail. If you shop carelessly, well, ouch.

When it comes to gift-giving, here's how clothes measure up:

Pros: It has potential to reap tangible rewards. Nothing beats watching your boyfriend show up to work in the tie you gave him, or seeing your girlfriend flaunt the dress you hand-picked.

Cons: Size issues. With the exception of one size fits all items, it's best to skip out on the clothes category unless you're 100 percent confident in your knowledge of sizing. Otherwise, you risk hearing this line: "You got me a large? Are you trying to say I'm fat?"

Of note: For a twist on the conventional T-shirt, visit CustomInk.com, one of my favorite Web sites. It lets you create unique, personalized T-shirts at a pretty affordable price.

I've always dreamed of getting a plain white tee that says "I Love You, Sonn-Dogg" in pink letters.

I'd also accept "I didn't steal your boyfriend."