Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thanksgiving awkwardness begins

Suddenly, you desperately want to savor an inedible casserole while exchanging awkward pleasantries about a stranger's dentures.

My, how things have changed.

With Thanksgiving just about two weeks away, many new couples -- and some not-so-new ones -- have hit a new high in awkwardness.

Blame it on the family Thanksgiving dinner invite, or lack thereof.

Suddenly, relationship Web sites are flooded with inquiries, most of which fall into one of two camps: "Should I invite him?" or "Why didn't he invite me?"

Need examples? Click here and here.

As far as I'm concerned, if a guy doesn't initiate a conversation about spending Thanksgiving together, he's not ready to do the whole "meet the family" thing.

But maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Weigh in: If you're in a fairly new relationship, is it weird to ask your boyfriend if you can spend Thanksgiving with his family?