Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Platonic Valentines

I don't regard Valentine's Day strictly as a romantic holiday. My dad usually gives me a Valentine's gift, and I often give my close female friends candy on Feb. 14.

But I have limits when it comes to expressions of "platonic" Valentine's affection.

Case in point: This Wall Street Journal article, which describes a tendency to give your "work spouse" a Valentine's Day gift.

I disapprove.

I've never been too keen on the whole "work spouse" idea. The term describes "co-workers with close relationships," according to the aforementioned WSJ piece.

It's one thing to have a work friend. But I'd be pretty mad if my boyfriend went behind my back and took the time to buy a Valentine's Day gift for a co-worker.

That's the REAL reason we work in the same office.